Tithe Barn

This barn is the tithe barn of the Parsonage Farm in Parsonage Hill. It was built to house the tithes of crops and produce paid to the Rector of the parish church, who was the Abbot of Muchelney Abbey in the Middle Ages. After the Reformation, in which Muchelney Abbey was closed in 1539, the tithes were paid to Bristol Cathedral, and the farm was administered through the Earls of Ilchester.

This photograph came from a book of views of old Somerton published by Mr Tuttiett who had Temperance Tea Rooms in New Street in the Edwardian period. It shows the barn was still part of a working farm in those days.

The Parsonage Farm was sold off when the Ilchester estates in Somerton were sold in 1921. It was the home of Dr Ingle, the GP, for many years, and is now a private house. The barn has been converted to houses, while retaining some of its original features.