Red Lion

The Red Lion was opened by the Earl of Ilchester in 1768 as a model coaching inn. It was a dominating building in the market area of the town, and was used at various dates as the town's post office, revenue office and departure point for coaches to all parts of the country.

This photograph was taken before 1897 (when the lion was removed from the pillar outside the inn) and shows two carts which were used by carriers to take goods from place to place.

 

In 1975 the Red Lion was a smart hotel with a good restaurant and bars, and a dance hall in the yard behind it. It closed in 1995 and, after a period of neglect, it has been redeveloped as town houses.